Tuesday, June 05, 2007

More Binion's pus WSOP

"Real courage is being afraid to do something, yet doing it anyway"


The great thing about Binion’s tournaments is that they are a great warmup for the WSOP. They schedule an event that is always the same game as the following day’s WSOP event, only Binion’s does it at 10% of the buy-in. So for example, yesterday was the $150 Omaha h/l at Binion’s and today is the $1500 Omaha h/l at The Rio.

This week I seem to be consistently putting myself in spots where I have a chance to make a run at a tournament win, but keep getting the door shut on me at around the same point in the tournament. Yesterday was a great turnout with 283 players at Binion’s and I got knocked out around 85th.

The hand that did me in was at the 1000/2000 level. With A248 and a flop of AJ8 rainbow, I bet out with two pair and the second nut low draw but was called in two spots. The turn was a gloomy looking Ten which completed a broadway, put a flush draw on the board, and gave any ace a likely better aces up. I was hoping for a free card here but the BB bet 2000 into me and I called given I had the low draw and maybe four outs to scoop with an ace or 8. The player behind me then raised to 4000 and we both called, leaving me with one pink 500 chip. The river was a 4, bricking my low draw and leaving me with two pair and no low. The turn raiser bet and the BB called and I folded preserving the one chip. The raiser of course had a broadway str8. I quadrupled up soon after but busted on my next attempt.

Had a nice time at the WSOP the last couple days. I watched quite a bit of the Stud/Omaha mix event and on Sunday even got to see Doyle Brunson’s hole cards for a couple rounds, and later watched a table with Greg Raymer, Jen Harmon, Andy Black, Paul Darden, and 1985 WSOP Main Event champion Berry Johnston. On Monday I ran into a guy named Mike who I had previously met and he wanted to stroll the room and look for people he saw on TV. We watched a bit of the crazy $5000 Pot Limit Omaha rebuy event, and later watched one of the final two tables of the Omaha/Stud mixed event with Annie Duke, Chris Ferguson, and Josh Arieh. Arieh was second in chips and trying to bully the table, but he ran into a couple of hands and within the blink of an eye all his chips were gone and the final table was set for Wednesday 2pm.

Unfortunately I won’t get to watch much of it. But there’s a good reason, cause I will be playing in the $1500 Omaha h/l event at The Rio which starts at 5pm! Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home